Thursday, January 10, 2008

Let Me Introduce Myself

Now that most of the students have returned to Hogwarts I would like to introduce myself. My name is Fleur Lovegoods and I'm a second year student in the House of Ravenclaw. I'm sure we'll quickly become the best of friends. All of us Lovegoods hail from the village of Dergotop, which is about 10km south of the enchanted Moors of Neere. The Lovegoods family has lived on our ancestral estate for just about forever. I miss the misty mornings and my beautiful peacocks wandering around on the lush green lawns, but I've filled my room at Ravenclaw with their magical feathers. I love knitting with peacock colored fibers.

Let's see, what else? I guess it might be a good idea to tell you a little about what makes me, well, ME! Other than knitting, I enjoy a great many activities, both traditional female arts and some things that the boys might find most shocking. My mum taught me how to make amulets and fill them with all kinds of flora (she's such a green thumber -- thus my name Fleur) to protect us when we're out on the Moors. I'm not too keen on the kitchen stuff, but I suppose someone must do it! Perhaps we shall learn how to conjure up a tasty pudding here at Hogwarts! I also enjoy doing Tarot card readings and am trying to improve my psychic abilities as I practice. My favorite class last year was definitely Charms! A skill I am most proud of, which I'm sure will serve me well this year, is my knowledge and training in Muggle weaponry and defense. Papa was a good teacher, thus I'm a fair shot with the Muggle Ettrick bow. My favorite though is the Muggle shiny steel Pike. Nasty little thing sure to take the head off any troll that dares to enter our halls!

My claim to fame, for I suppose we must all have one, is to be the last in a long line of fiercely independent Lovegoods women. My mother attended Hogwarts, as did hers, and so on up the line. I will have to ask Madam Pince if any of the books in the library still tells the story of my great-grandmother Agatha Wigworthy and how she saved our ancestral estate from being taken over by the detested Umgubula Slashkilters. Nana was such an experienced weaver, spinner and knitter that she was able to knit a spell into the socks the evil looters cherished and they were helpless and had to feel far from our treasured Moors. One day perhaps I shall regale you with all the details -- tis truly an inspiring tale.

My family has always been involved with the magical manipulation of fibers. Our shop in Diagon Alley is well known for producing all the charmed knits you might ever desire as well as beautiful fibers for individual use. It's always fun to to into the shop and see all the looms busily kicking out a blur of yards and yards of fabrics, hear the steady humming of the spinning wheels spinning out magical fibers in flashing colors, and listen to the clicking of all the glistening needles knitting scarves, hats, gloves and sweaters in Hogwarts colors.

Because of all I was taught by Mum and Nana, I am most anxious to learn more about the art and magic of spell casting and weaving. Can you imagine the things we will learn in Magic in Thread Work and Weaving? Having the skill to save a rare unicorn by spinning a special suture, or being able to use our lovely orts to capture the wind and spare a poor village from devastation. Helping others is what magic is all about.

I'm looking forward to learning more about all the first years. Please tell us about yourselves! Let's meet in the Common Room soon for a cup of nettle tea or pumpkin juice and swap some knitting patterns.

No comments: